Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Pinots dinner, a few more thoughts

I thought I would hate the Sea Smoke, I thought it would be sweet and simple, manipulated, hot on the finish, it was anything but. The fruit was bright, the structure sound, there was complexity and the wine evolved all through the evening. I don't know if there was a sense of place in this wine, but the Chambolle tasted like a Gevrey to me so who am I to say?  That is probably the reason why I voted for the Groffier second and not first - it just didn't taste like a Chambolle Amoureuses, but it did taste a lot like a chewy Gevrey Chambertin.

The Kosta Browne was also delicious and layered. I don't mind fruit in my wine, I mind the lack of acidity, I mind alcoholic out of balance wine, I mind heavy handed oak treatment, I mind heat on the finish and I mind tiring, monolithic wines. These two wines were nothing like that but I would have thought they were before tasting them just based on others' descriptions. I stand corrected. I loved them both and would drink them anytime anywhere.

The Siduri and the St Innocent were also much better than I expected. I have had Williams Selyem many times before and knew it was a good balanced wine, the others were the real treat last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment