Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bad tables at good restaurants

Went to Tarry Lodge again last week, probably for the last time.  While the food remains very good, I find myself asking for a better table every time I go and I just got tired of it.

I didn't know that, but I come in with the "face." You know which one, the one that says: I really am an idiot, I don't care if you seat me by the service table or the kitchen or the corridor, next to the group of ten stockbrokers screaming into their beer, I will order a bottle of wine and let you pour it constantly into my glass so that I finish it by the time I finish the salad and will have to order another one. I really don't mind the blasting a/c behind me or the speakers above my head.  I will still come back and gladly pay your inflated prices and 20% tip.

Well, enough of that, I like the pizza but nothing else over there is that extraordinary, so maybe after a movie in Portchester we'll stop at the bar and have a margherita and a glass of wine, but the aggravation of dining there is just not worth it anymore.

And please, I'll refill my glass myself, stay away.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I totally agree. All too often, as in life, it seems the squeaky tire gets the most oil. I often wish I were more assertive in dining establishments. I especially hate it when they squeeze you into a tiny table at 10pm when there are plenty of larger tables available.
    On my last visit to Tarry Lodge, the server demanded that we give her the entire order all at once. She refused to allow us to enjoy some appetizers while we decided on Entrees.
    My only option in this case...
    I told her we were only having appetizers. Once we were done, I asked for the menus again and ordered some pizzas and pasta. When we were done with that...I ordered the whole roasted fish for the table.
    Sadly, Batali and Bastianich have grown to the point of no return.

    ReplyDelete