Monday, February 28, 2011

Michael White's Ai Fiori; Does Italian food need to be this rich?

To celebrate my daughter's 17th birthday, we went yesterday to Ai Fiori, Michael White's new restaurant in NYC. The place is huge and is very nicely appointed. The service was very good, although the sommelier seemed confused by my request for Ligurian wine and tried to explain Arneis to me. We finally figured it out and ended up with a delicious bottle of Pigato, a white floral, full of mineral, wine from the Italian Riviera.

On to the food itself, the portions were quite small, but that really is not a problem because the food is so fucking rich! I know restaurants are there to cater to my taste buds with total disregard to my cardiologist's advice, but this is ridiculous.

I will not go into a description of the dishes, they were all very tasty, but in all honesty, I would be happier with a simpler trattoria menu, this was just overkill for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment